Fuller's first contribution to building design was developed in collaboration with his father-in-law, James Monroe Hewlett, in 1922. The company they formed, Stockade Building System, ran 4 or 5 factories manufacturing blocks of compressed wood-shavings each with 2 vertical holes through them such that when they were stacked like bricks to form a wall, concrete could be poured down the aligned holes to reinforce the structure.
The company managed to build about 240 houses before it fell foul of trade unions, building codes and commercial take-over.
(See Dymaxion World, pp.72-73; Hatch, pp.80-86.)
THE FULLER MAP
© Paul Taylor 2001